Party tip #1: Cleaning and preparing your Champagne Glasses
Preparation of your glasses are often overlooked and your glasses are after all your guest’s link to the delicious nectar that they will enjoy at your celebration, it is therefor important to ensure your glasses are prepared correctly for a more enjoyable taste experience.
My mom always taught me to make sure her Champagne glasses are prepared correctly, so I asked her if she would be willing to share her ‘secret tips’ with us.
Here we have Mary Krone’s secret tips to ensure that your Champagne glasses will continuously sparkle.
1. Always try to serve Champagne and/ Méthode Cap Classique Sparkling Wine in champagne glasses
– preferably the flute shape (instead of the old flat, shallow glass, known as the coupé) as the bubbles are then more noticeable and, as we all know, enjoyment is as much to do with what excites the eye, as with what the tastebuds perceive.
2. Probably the most important aspect as far as presentation is concerned is to do with:
THE WASHING OF THE GLASSES
– wash in hot, soapy water
– rinse very well with clean, clear, hot water
– dry with paper towel or a dedicated glass cloth (fluff-free)
– store glasses upright in a clean, airy cupboard OR hang them upside-down
– never store wine glasses in ‘aromatic’ wooden cupboards
– sniff any batch of glasses before serving wines or sparkling wines in order to ensure that the glasss are neutral – even when they come out of storage boxes or trays.
If there is residue of any detergent or ‘rinse aid’ (as used in automatic dishwashers) left on the inner surface of the glass, the bubbles will not have anywhere from which to ‘kick-off’ and the sparkling wine will appear to be flat.
However, when you then take a sip, it feels like an explosion in your mouth, pushing your cheeks outwards as the bubbles kick-off inside your mouth.
Some fanatical champagne and sparkling wine aficionados use a diamond drill to gently scratch the base of their special champagne flute glasses in order to have a rough spot from which those fascinating bubbles start their journey to the top. Quite symbolic – a journey from the rough spot in the depths, rising all the way to the top…